Mindfulness Outreach Initiative offers a variety of meditation instruction options and mindfulness training courses.
MOI offerings are supported by student Generosity (dāna). The intent of this approach is to make the offerings accessible to as many people as possible, regardless of their financial situation. The income we receive covers only a small portion of our operating costs. Your contributions make up the rest of our budget. Additional contributions help support the teachers, operations, and community outreach.
MOI Insight Meditation & Dharma Talk
Offered weekly on Tuesdays from 6:30pm to 7:30pm, the hour consist of insight meditation instruction, dharma talk, practice discussion with the teacher, and a guided or silent meditation practice. The sessions can accommodate beginners or experienced practitioners. If you’re brand new to practice, mindfulness meditation instruction will be provided to ensure you have a good understanding of the practice. There is no registration, drop-ins are welcome whenever a session is being offered.
MOI Sitting Group
The MOI Sitting Group meets on Sundays at the First Unitarian Church of Omaha to practice Insight Meditation 4:00pm to 5:00pm. Participants are encouraged to have an established meditation practice: little to no instruction is given during the sits, seated meditation is sustained for 30 to 60 minute sits, please arrive early – the bell to begin sounds promptly at the beginning of each meeting.
Note: Beginning or inexperienced practitioners can receive meditation instruction by attending the Tuesday evening MOI Insight Meditation & Dharma Talk at MOI (3015 Pacific Street) offered each week.
MOI Insight To Recovery
* Currently on pause. This offering is a dharma-inspired approach, dedicated to the practices of mindfulness, compassion, forgiveness and generosity to heal the pain and suffering caused by addiction. It is a systematic approach to training the heart and mind to see clearly and respond to life with understanding and non-harming. This process cultivates the path of recovering from the addictions and delusions that create suffering in life and in this world. When sincerely engaged in, this program will not only support recovery from any addiction (food, drugs, sex, alcohol, etc), but also provide a lifelong sense of well-being.
MOI Lincoln Sitting Group
* Currently on pause. The MOI Lincoln Sitting Group meets in Lincoln at Into Balance, 1620 S 70th St #105, Lincoln, NE 68506 to practice Insight Meditation. The hour begins with meditation instruction, and a guided or silent meditation practice. The group welcomes all beginners and or experienced practitioners.
Mindfulness Training Sessions
MOI offers 8-Week and 4-Week training programs to our community partners (their employees and clients.) Training sessions focus on the implementation of techniques that promote mindfulness in daily life. Specific exercise and instructions provide participants with an experiential education of mindfulness and the resulting benefits.
Training session options ranging from daily, weekly, monthly visits can be scheduled. Classes can be provided in 30 to 60 minute formats and two hour workshops are also available. Classes may be held on site, a private room with enough seating to accommodate participants. Bundles: Four week program series consisting of hour long sessions weekly.
Session Days & Times – Available Upon Request
Guided Meditation Sessions
These calming sessions alleviate stress and anxiety introducing participants to relaxation practices that promote wellbeing and clarity. Through skillful self observation these embodying sessions can be tailored to follow the sensory component as a supplement to pain management. Meditation can be as effective as antidepressant drugs in treating anxiety or depression, but without the side effects, according to a study conducted by researchers from Johns Hopkins University and published in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine.
MOI Book Club
* Currently on pause. Promoting education and personal insight through friendship and reading. Books selected focus on meditation, psychology, philosophy, self-exploration, and other areas of cognitive science. The group meets once a month in person to discuss and share ideas related to the current reading.
MOI Movie Night
* Currently on pause. Movies are selected varying from thought provoking documentaries related to meditation, psychology, and philosophy to light-hearted feature films which inspire and capture the imagination. Participants and guests are encouraged to bring drinks and snacks.
* Currently on pause. Mindfulness Outreach Initiative (MOI) Yoga Class – Classes are 90 minutes and can accommodate both beginning and experienced students. After a brief opening seated meditation, students will practice level-appropriate asanas (postures) designed to align and balance the body and promote greater mind-body awareness. During practice attention is placed on purposefully observing sensations within the body as they arise with equanimity. Sessions inspire students to develop their practice with patience and integrity as a moving meditation that explores unification of intuitive sensibilities and external actions moment by moment.